Thursday, May 24, 2012

Don't Judge A Book By Its Cover

"Don't judge a book by its cover". How many times have we heard this? More importantly, how many times have we heard this, but ignore the importance behind what it truly means? I myself can admit that I am guilty on numberous accounts of judging before getting to know someone, judging what someone is wearing, what someone says. I have told myself many times that I am going to work on my judgmental ways.. and even up until last night I sat there and commented on a person's haircut and choice of clothing. Every person is unique and beautiful in their own way, so I am in no position to judge that.

I recently returned home from a trip to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. What an amazing place, filled with beautiful people. I had the best time. Not only are the staff outstanding, but the friends I met along the way made my vacation that much better. The reason that I write this entry is because of 2 people I met at my resort. Both from Chile, these guys were great. To make a long story short, a friend I was traveling with nick named one of my new friends by his appearance. And another did the same because of a movie they saw with Chilean guys as the villians. Stereo types SUCK. I was the only person in my group of 14 to have the great joy of talking with these guys, hanging out and learning Spanish (a true love of mine BTW). So when my friends from home would make comments and say things, it not only offended me, but I instantly became defensive because it bothered me a lot that they had formed an opinion about these guys without talking to them, and basing their opinions on a story that was overheard. The point behind this whole "Don't judge a book by its cover" is that forming an opinion, or believing in a stereo type before actually getting to know a person is simple... Don't do it. People deserve the benefit of the doubt and from here on out, I am going to be mindfull of my rejudgments against people. Jesus loves us all no matter what, so I am going to take a pointer from him and try my best to love others as he does.

I am left with the feeling of missing these great guys, and I only had 6 days with them. Carpe Diem was a phrase that I taught one of them... and on the last night, we did exactly just that, we ceased the night and well into the morning sunrise and it was one of the greatest nights I have had.

No comments:

Post a Comment